Home Forums Movies 2019 Best Actress Oscar Discussion (Part 4)

2019 Best Actress Oscar Discussion (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 391 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
2 hours ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
willd
Luca Giliberti
wattsgold
  • Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

lol, they may be predictable because those are clear frontrunners who deserve to win. calm down, I loved Gaga in the film and I’m rooting for her. But Colman would be a fresh air to win. Close is a knock-out in her picture and an outstanding actress, Davis is always great and bound to steal this predicted-very-popular film and Aparicio is a first-time-on-screen foreigner who plays in an art-house netflix film. How are those uninspired? Gaga alongside them would make a killer line-up. And a very deserving one. You don’t need to drag these other talented contenders down to root for the fave (even though people here drag Gaga unfairly for anything she does).

but can you really stand someone saying she hopes Gaga is left off? That kinda thinking should be forbidden on here. Thank God you believe in Ally though. At least you know what unpredictably good acting is when you see one. I believe SAG and GG will do the right thing as the Oscar. They know who to honour.

Two acceptable surprises would be the girls from Eight grade and Leave no Trace.

FYC Emily Blunt (Mary Poppins Returns) and Lady Gaga (A Star is Born) for best actress

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

but can you really stand someone saying she hopes Gaga is left off? That kinda thinking should be forbidden on here. Thank God you believe in Ally though. At least you know what unpredictably good acting is when you see one. I believe SAG and GG will do the right thing as the Oscar. They know who to honour. Two acceptable surprises would be the girls from Eight grade and Leave no Trace.

The same way you can’t stand people who say that Gaga should be left off, many of us can’t stand it when people call choices uninspired and boring depsite being unseen. I mean no disrespect at all, but do you know what I mean?

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    Cédric Léria
    Participant
    Topics:

FYC Oscars 2019 : Joanna Kulig (Cold War) for Best Actress

I saw the movie and she was brilliant in it, she’s able to dance, to sing, and act like a true comedian, and fews month ago, i remembered that at the Cannes Film Festival she made a huge impression on the international press, that most of the critics would have choose her, for the Best Actress prize. So, i think we shouldn’t forget about her.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I honestly don’t believe that Lady Gaga deserves a nomination. It’s my opinion. My saying so is actually o.k. I understand the irritation because I feel it around Lucas Hedges and Boy Erased, which I loved with all my heart and wish would be a strong contender for Oscars. Gold Derby is a place where we should be able to express our opinions without constantly being snarked at if our opinions are different. Forbidding opinions we don’t like defeats the purpose of having free speech!

As for Best Actress I find it bewildering that Carey Mulligan isn’t in the conversation for her superb performance in Wildlife. My only hope is that the critics embrace her performance to such a degree that Oscar voters – and SAG and HFPA – watch the film and nominate her. I’ve gone through these awards seasons enough years to know it is highly unlikely but it does happen every once in awhile.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus.H
    Participant
    Topics:

I honestly don’t believe that Lady Gaga deserves a nomination. It’s my opinion. My saying so is actually o.k. I understand the irritation because I feel it around Lucas Hedges and Boy Erased, which I loved with all my heart and wish would be a strong contender for Oscars. Gold Derby is a place where we should be able to express our opinions without constantly being snarked at if our opinions are different. Forbidding opinions we don’t like defeats the purpose of having free speech! As for Best Actress I find it bewildering that Carey Mulligan isn’t in the conversation for her superb performance in Wildlife. My only hope is that the critics embrace her performance to such a degree that Oscar voters – and SAG and HFPA – watch the film and nominate her. I’ve gone through these awards seasons enough years to know it is highly unlikely but it does happen every once in awhile.

Okay, we all knew you love Boy Erased but hate ASIB so much cuz you’ve literally said them in every thread related to these 2 films since October.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

Okay, we all knew you love Boy Erased but hate ASIB so much cuz you’ve literally said them in every thread related to these 2 films since October.

and a lot of people disagree with his opinion. So praise the lord people.

FYC Emily Blunt (Mary Poppins Returns) and Lady Gaga (A Star is Born) for best actress

ReplyCopy URL
    O´Hara
    Participant
    Topics:

And what about it?Isn´t that what this forum is for? Shut the fuck up

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Lady Gaga sucks at acting and doesn’t deserve an Oscar nom for singing well.

You guys should be happy that she’s being considered at all when she doesn’t deserve it and is being overhyped thanks to her fame, as usual.

ReplyCopy URL
    estrelasdealgeruz
    Participant
    Topics:

and a lot of people disagree with his opinion. So praise the lord people.

Like everything in life. If we all liked the same things than the world would suck really Hard. And for your opinion i actually think he’s got a point, personally i liked ASIB very much, but i think it’s being a little bit overhyped. And Gaga, for me, didn’t do anything of extraordinary. But everybody and anyone is entitled to have their own opinion. If they loved ASIB and Gaga, than that’s absolutely great but if they didn’t  than that is also perfectly fine.

ReplyCopy URL
    Manuelcolon
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw ASIB twice to evaluate the details and what people don’t seem to comment is the fact that Gaga did what the script had, and sadly the writers did not give her enough big scenes or enough range to show more.

I agree with the fact that she’s very good and does come out amazingly natural, and that’s about it because she did not have more material. The usual opinion is that Bradley acted circles around her, and how could he not do it f he had plenty of baity scenes and the more developed character.

Lady Gaga did the best she could with the material they gave her, and yes, maybe that just wasn’t enough to garner all the acclaim and possible awards.

Even Sam Elliot with a 15 minutes screentime was given two huge scenes to take advantage of.

Maybe she could have pushed more, yes, but we can see in the movie that her character doesn’t have much development.

Let’s relax about the Gaga fight and take in consideration every factor around ANY performance, predict what you want in a safe way during the few months we have left.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Gaga did what the script had, and sadly the writers did not give her enough big scenes or enough range to show more. 

That’s exactly because she doesn’t have the acting chops to pull it off. In AHS: Hotel it was the same, her character was completely bland and unidimensional and still, her acting was far from good, with very few good moments in the second half of the season. She’s simply not a good actress and the writers know it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus.H
    Participant
    Topics:

Lady Gaga sucks at acting and doesn’t deserve an Oscar nom for singing well. You guys should be happy that she’s being considered at all when she doesn’t deserve it and is being overhyped thanks to her fame, as usual.

Well, she’s obviously not that bad. You really have bias against singers-turn-actors. She doesn’t deserve an Oscars win ,but she’s amazing in ASIB tbh.

And what about it?Isn´t that what this forum is for? Shut the fuck up

Lol you need to relax ,take back ur rude words ,and stop distorting others’ words…..they were not meant to be offensive at all.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 7 hours ago by  Marcus.H.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Manuelcolon
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s exactly because she doesn’t have the acting chops to pull it off. In AHS: Hotel it was the same, her character was completely bland and unidimensional and still, her acting was far from good, with very few good moments in the second half of the season. She’s simply not a good actress and the writers know it.

We don’t know if she can do it because she has not been given the chance, the fact that she has a good performance does not make her a great actress, but she proved that she can do the job in ASIB, which is a good kinda great one.

I agree with what you say about AHS, but at the same time i think that yes, she doesn’t have much experience and lacks a strong technique, then she should be directed better to push her to greatness.

That’s my only way of “defending” her, that while she gave a pretty bad performance in her TV debut, she could be pushed to do more and teach her how, not just let her do t because it’s Gaga.

With Bradley she seemed far more comfortable and delivered a strong film debut, i will expect more demanding roles in the future (which i was expecting ASIB to be)

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

She did a great job with what she was provided with. If Bradley Cooper and the other writers didn’t develop Ally enough, that’s their fault and a fault with the film, not with Gaga.

ReplyCopy URL
    NoLogo
    Participant
    Topics:

My gut is telling me that the nominees will be:

Glenn Close – The Wife
    Olivia Colman – The Favourite
    Yalitza Aparicio – Roma
    Julia Roberts – Ben is Back
    Melissa McCarthy – Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Close, Colman and Aparicio, I believe are a given. McCarthy is a good bet. Roberts is my wild card and I believe the rave reviews she has received (even though the film is getting good but not great reviews) plus the goodwill she is receiving on the TV side for her fantastic turn in Homecoming will see her sneak in.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 7 hours ago by  NoLogo.
    ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 391 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.